One of the most important decisions you will make when deciding to sell your Greater Baton Rouge home is selecting a real estate agent. The real estate agent is the seller’s representative, also known as the listing agent. The agent you choose will help you to navigate a process that they are far more familiar with than you are.
You hire an agent to negotiate for you and act in your best interest. A great agent will think ahead and be able to prepare you for the unexpected.
Being engaged from start to finish is a hallmark trait for a great listing agent. In the beginning, a seller’s agent will make recommendations about how you can best prepare your house for sale. They will suggest repairs and minor upgrades. Staging may be advised to highlight the home’s potential. Then, the seller and agent determine how to price the house together.
Once there is an interested buyer, the agent will manage and negotiate offers to obtain top dollar for your house. When there is an accepted contract, your listing agent will help you negotiate inspection repair requests and be in communication with the title company.
How will your agent be able to handle all of this? Experience. One of the most important things you need to ask is the experience level of the agent. You want someone that has a knowledge of the market and where it’s predicted to go, as well as someone who knows how things work.
So how do you find this exceptional agent to sell your Greater Baton Rouge home?
Start by asking friends and colleagues for recommendations. Chances are you will receive a handful of names. Take some time to google these agents and read their online reviews, and check out their social profiles. When you have narrowed down your list, make some appointments to interview the candidates face to face. These interviews will help you to find the perfect agent to sell your Greater Baton Rouge home.
As with any interview, the candidate should possess the following qualities:
- Punctuality – If your agent is late to your appointment, what does that say to you?
- Appearance – Are they dressed like they are ready to represent you in your most significant investment?
- Knowledge – Can they answer your questions with confidence?
Besides these first impressions, you need to ask the candidate some precise questions. Here are 10 of the top questions we suggest you ask:
- Are they full time or part-time agents? Statistically, full-time agents have more experience than part-time agents.
- How long have they been an agent? Experience matters!
- How many homes has the agent sold in the past year? There we are touting experience again.
- How will they price your home? Will you be able to be part of that process?
- Ask about their marketing plan for your home. While they may not have one tailored 100% to your home, they will be able to give you a good idea about what you should expect.
- How often in what means will they communicate with you?
- Do they have any special designations or certifications? Example: CRS (Certified Residential Specialist), SRS ( Seller Representative Specialist). Designations and Certifications require extra training and will show you how committed the agent is to their profession.
- Do they have a concierge list of professionals to help you with things like painting, hand-man work, cleaners, etc.?
- How well do they know the area where your house is located?
- Do they practice Dual-Agency? Dual agency is when an agent represents you AND a buyer purchasing your home. At Town & Parish Realty, it is company policy that our agents do NOT practice dual agency. We believe that every buyer and seller deserves to have their own representation.
Someone that listens to you and your concerns is essential. Make sure you feel comfortable with the agent you hire. Selling your Baton Rouge home is a team effort!